Saturday, May 19, 2012

Labels

I was thinking about what my post for the day would be about and what I would call it as I ran today and that sparked a very controversial and heated discussion between me, myself and I, needless to say I won!  The topic for debate - labels - the question at hand - why are we so obsessed with them?  The debate comes from my desire to denounce labels altogether and one day live in a society where we're all above needing labels to function, that or a society that functions entirely underground, and my admittance that on some level labels are a necessary evil.  Just as James Madison reluctantly forfeiteted all claim against political parties I too must admit that labels are an integrated part of our society that give identity to people, places, things, experiences, even memories, however I don't need an entire newspaper to get my point across, this post will do just fine.  I mean, labels are everywhere! There's even a section on this site that is dedicated to placing labels on your post so people can track them.  They deal with our sexual orientation, religious affiliation, location, education, what food we'll eat, hair color, height, income, etc. before we know it we'll be labeling people based upon what kind of fingerprint they have.  Just because they're everywhere doesn't mean I have to like it though.  By these standards I would be considered an overwhelming number of different labels.  Luckily for you it's not necessary to figure them all out you can just call me Sarah.  I truly dislike labels, but even more so I hate having to feel like I need to justify myself as something another person is labeling me as.  Let me clarify, if you were going about your business just doing you and someone approached you questioning an aspect of your character that you had always assumed was just natural how would you feel?  I personally feel a mixture of shame and affront.  Who are they to question my personal choices, but at the same time a tiny part of me wonders what's so wrong that someone noticed it in the first place?  Ya know what I say, let people label you and let them associate what they want with you because nice people get proven nice in the end and I can't think of a single thing wrong with being labeled as that nice girl from across the street who walks her dog every morning before work and likes to play her music a little too loudly!  I'm off to drive my used ford taurus that I just got today, interestingly enough since taurus is the horoscope until May 20th my Taurus is a Taurus! 
Have a RUN-believable day!
Song Suggestion: Breath of life - Florence and the Machine (It's intense!!)   

No comments:

Post a Comment