Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Last Words

Heyo! This will be brief today but I just finished a book I've been reading and naturally my mind chose to focus on that for the duration of my run.  The book is called Looking for Alaska  by John Green who has a very cavalier style of writing that I find amusing.  In the book the main character Miles is obsessed with people's last words and he knows some pretty random ones from Francois Rabelais last words "I go to seek a Great Perhaps" to John F. Kennedy's  which were "that's obvious".  Some are pretty inspirational like John Adam's who used his dying breath to state "Thomas Jefferson still survives" which is either the ramblings of a dying old man or a really epic statement about the continuancy of our democracy.  Some are silly like, for instance, Thomas Jefferson's who used his dying breath to ask "This is the Fourth?"  Last words is a rather morbid topic, but I'm fascinated! What is so important that in leiu of all else someone would choose to make that statement as their last?  Sure people don't always know it's their last moment of verbosity, but if you did what would you say?  If you knew it was the last impression you would make what would win out?  I would like to think my last words would be some really powerful message that would be passed on in a book years later, but truthfully it will probably be about food... If you're as interested as I am John Green references a book called Famous Last Words by Laura Ward where I'm sure some gems are to be found.  Tangent time: I didn't even realize that the food network has no strictly vegetarian shows which is frankly surprising!  I'm trying to go vegetarian which is proving to be a challenge, but a worthwile one so who knows maybe that's my calling in life? 
Have a RUN-believable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment